When you use our services, you’re trusting us with your information. We understand this is a big responsibility and work hard to protect your information and put you in control.
Effective January 01, 2019 |
We sell a range of products that help people be comfortable and safe daily and interact, be confident with the world in new ways.
You can use our online platform in a variety of ways to manage your privacy. For example, you can sign up for an Essentials Account if you want to create and manage content like emails and photos, or see more relevant search results. And you can use many Essentials services when you’re signed out or without creating an account at all, like making a purchase. You can also choose to browse the web privately using browsers in incognito or privacy mode. And across our services, you can adjust your privacy settings to control what we collect and how your information is used.
INFORMATION ESSENTIALS COLLECTS
We want you to understand the types of information we collect as you use our services
We collect information to provide better services to all our users — from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like which ads you’ll find most useful. The information Essentials collects, and how that information is used, depends on how you use our services and how you manage your privacy controls.
When you’re not signed in to a Essentials Account, we store the information we collect with unique identifiers tied to the browser, application, or device you’re using. This helps us do things like maintain your language preferences across browsing sessions.
When you’re signed in, we also collect information that we store with your Essentials Account, which we treat as personal information.
Things you create or provide to us
When you create an Essentials Account, you provide us with personal information that includes your name and a password. You can also choose to add a phone number or payment information to your account. Even if you aren’t signed in to a Essentials Account, you might choose to provide us with information — like an email address to receive updates about our services.
We also collect the content you create, upload, or receive from others when using our services. This includes things like email you write and receive, photos and videos you save, docs and spreadsheets you create, and comments you make on our blog.
Information we collect as you use our services
We collect information about the apps, browsers, and devices you use to access Essentials services, which helps us provide features like automatic product updates and dimming your screen if your battery runs low.
The information we collect includes unique identifiers, browser type and settings, device type and settings, operating system, mobile network information including carrier name and phone number, and application version number. We also collect information about the interaction of your apps, browsers, and devices with our services, including IP address, crash reports, system activity, and the date, time, and referrer URL of your request.
We collect information about your activity in our services, which we use to do things like recommend a YouTube video you might like. The activity information we collect may include:
- Terms you search for
- Videos you watch
- Views and interactions with content and ads
- Voice and audio information when you use audio features
- Purchase activity
- People with whom you communicate or share content
- Activity on third-party sites and apps that use our services or that we’ve partnered with
You can visit your Essentials Account to find and manage activity information that’s saved in your account.
We use various technologies to collect and store information, including cookies, pixel tags, local storage, such as browser web storage or application data caches, databases, and server logs.
WHY ESSENTIALS COLLECTS DATA
We use data to build better services
We use the information we collect from all our services for the following purposes:
- Provide our services – We use your information to deliver our services, like processing the terms you search for in order to return results or add our portfolio of products with products that mean more to you.
- Maintain & improve our service – We also use your information to ensure our services are working as intended, such as tracking outages or troubleshooting issues that you report to us. We also use your information to help us make it simpler for you to use our services. And we use your information to make improvements to our services — for example, understanding which search terms are most frequently misspelled helps us improve spell-check features used across our services.
- Develop new product bundles – We use the information we collect in existing services to help us develop new ones. For example, understanding how people like to pair products that they are purchasing. An example is maybe you’d like to buy a vest with your undies.
- Provide personalized services, including content and ads – We use the information we collect to customize our services for you, including providing recommendations, personalized content, and customized search results.Depending on your settings, we may also show you personalized ads based on your interests. For example, if you search for “plus size bra,” you may see an ad for plus size bras when you’re browsing a site that shows ads served by Essentials or its advertising partners.
We don’t show you personalized ads based on sensitive categories, such as race, religion, sexual orientation, or health.
We don’t share information that personally identifies you with advertisers, such as your name or email, unless you ask us to.
- Measure performance – We use data for analytics and measurement to understand how our services are used. For example, we analyze data about your visits to our sites to do things like optimize product design. And we also use data about the ads you interact with to help advertisers understand the performance of their ad campaigns.
- Communicate with you – We use information we collect, like your email address, to interact with you directly. For example, we may send you a notification if we detect suspicious activity, like an attempt to sign in to your Essentials Account from an unusual location. Or we may let you know about upcoming changes or improvements to our services. And if you contact Essentials, we’ll keep a record of your request in order to help solve any issues you might be facing.
- Protect Essentials, our users, and the public – We use information to help improve the safety and reliability of our services. This includes detecting, preventing, and responding to fraud, abuse, security risks, and technical issues that could harm Essentials, our users, or the public.
There are other ways to control the information Essentials collects whether or not you’re signed in to a Essentials Account, including:
Browser settings: For example, you can configure your browser to indicate when Essentials has set a cookie in your browser. You can also configure your browser to block all cookies from a specific domain or all domains. But remember that our services rely on cookies to function properly, for things like remembering your language preferences.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
- When you share your information – When you’re signed in and interact with some Essentials services, like leaving comments on a blog, your name and photo appear next to your activity. We may also display this information in ads depending on your Shared endorsements setting.
- When Essentials shares your information – We do not share your personal information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of Essentials except in the following cases:
- With your consent – We’ll share personal information outside of Essentials when we have your consent. For example, if you use Essentials Home to make a reservation through a booking service, we’ll get your permission before sharing your name or phone number with the restaurant. We’ll ask for your explicit consent to share any sensitive personal information.
- For legal reasons – We will share personal information outside of Essentials if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation, or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request. We share information about the number and type of requests we receive from governments in our Transparency Report.
Enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues.
Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Essentials, our users, or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners — like publishers, advertisers, developers, or rights holders. For example, we share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services. We also allow specific partners to collect information from your browser or device for advertising and measurement purposes using their own cookies or similar technologies.
KEEPING YOUR INFORMATION SECURE
We build security into our services to protect your information
All Essentials products are built with strong security features that continuously protect your information. The insights we gain from maintaining our services help us detect and automatically block security threats from ever reaching you. And if we do detect something risky that we think you should know about; we’ll notify you and help guide you through steps to stay better protected.
We work hard to protect you and Essentials from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of information we hold, including:
We use encryption to keep your data private while in transit
We offer a range of security features, like Safe Browsing, Security Check-up, and 2 Step Verification to help you protect your account
We review our information collection, storage, and processing practices, including physical security measures, to prevent unauthorized access to our systems
We restrict access to personal information to Essentials employees, contractors, and agents who need that information in order to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
COMPLIANCE & COOPERATION WITH REGULATORS
ABOUT THIS POLICY
When this policy applies
The information practices of other companies and organizations that advertise our services
Services offered by other companies or individuals, including products or sites that may include Essentials services, be displayed to you in search results, or be linked from our services
Changes to this policy